~~~~~~~~~ "We are here for only a moment, wanderers and sojourners in the land as our ancestors were before us. Our days on earth are like a passing shadow, gone so soon without a trace." I Chron. 29:15 NLT





Saturday, October 10, 2009

Life Goes On

So much has happened in the last 2-3 months. Since January, 2009, we've experienced the deaths of ten people in our lives. Some of these were expected, though sudden: my brother-in-law who had been in a home for five years with Alzheimers; an older friend with an inoperable brain tumor, a former 86 yr. old employee with lung cancer, one of Alan's elderly cousins, the elderly wife of Alan's mortician friend. Other deaths were totally unexpected: our nephew, who was only 39 yrs. old; Alan's classmate from high school who died of a sudden heart attack; one of my cousin's husband who committed suicide; and Alan's first cousin (75 yrs. old) who was killed when he stepped out into the path of a passing car while harvesting soy beans on his farm.

I am reminded of the brevity of life and how precious is my time here on earth. More importantly is how I live, and that I live with eternity on my mind. I am a pilgrim here on earth on a journey to somewhere else. When my time comes to leave I'll be in the arms of Christ my Savior as promised in God's word, and hope to see all those I love who have made that journey before me. Because of the gift of salvation death is not the end of life, only life as I know it now. "For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." 2 Corinthians 5:1

4 comments:

Betty W said...

That is a lot to carry! So many deaths! I´m so sorry and hope that you feel God´s peace in each situation. I totally agree with you though, that when I die it´s just the end of this life and we have the piece of mind to know we are going home to our Lord!

Donna's Book Nook said...

What a time of loss for you and your family. I just lost a cousin very unexpectedly--she had not been ill as far as we knew.

A good reminder to me that we are truly just sojourners in this land.

Dee said...

Oh my..you have been dealing with so much sadness my friend. I pray the Lord will continue to comfort you in the days ahead with the vision of that great day when we will see Him and our loved one's. Thank you for your encouraging and flattering comments on my doodles.:) God bless you and your family...Love in Christ. Dee

Dee said...

How are you doing?